Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What To Do When You Want To Cheat


What To Do When You Want To Cheat

Part I



Over the last few years as I've embarked on this journey of weight loss, I have been tempted to cheat on my diet. I realize I'd only be cheating myself. If I compromise and give in to the desires of my flesh and eat the wrong foods, who would I really be hurting? As I pondered that question I began to think about my husband, my children and future grandchildren. I also had to consider the effect on the ministry I have in my church and my commitment to God. The steps I have taken to "get off" and "keep off" the excess weight would all be in vain.



We are creatures of habit and often fail because we revert back to our old ways. The question then became, "How can I stay on track?" Because it was hard to make changes early in my journey I allowed myself a cheat "meal"--not a cheat "day," and only once a week. This has saved me over and over again when I want to cheat, I can tell myself, Thursday night will be here soon, I can wait.



I still needed to know how to stay on track so as always, I sought God's wisdom for the answer. Impressed upon my heart were three things to do when I want to cheat. Today I will share the first step with you, which is prayer.



Pray consistently, In Luke 18:1 it says; Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. Prayer is communication with God. Through the blood of Jesus we have direct access to God the Father at all times. A part of overcoming temptation is to seek God. This verse offers two choices: we can pray, or we can faint; we can be victorious, or we can fail. Pray about your eating and exercise habits that you will eat less and exercise more. Recognize you must change these habits and there is no magic pill or potion that will accomplish the task.



Remember, your flesh is weak, but God through prayer can help you to be strong. Matthew 26.41 tells us; Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak. The battle is with the desire of the flesh to have its way, and to keep you in bondage to your desires to over indulge.



Pray for your wellness, not just your sickness. Be proactive and approach prayer from a positive stand point. Our prayer requests are often negative and sound more like an organ recital—Often we pray for our ailments or the ailments of others. We should also pray to make the proper choices to prevent the ailments. What about praying to have or remain in good health? Pray for the desire to drink more water, or to find an exercise you enjoy and will perform. Pray to "drive by" the fast food restaurants and not the "drive thru." Rely on God's promise to answer your prayers and pray consistently.

Part 2 tomorrow……

No comments:

Post a Comment